Summer holidays. Where I expect sun and warm weather, but get rain and grey skies. Moreton Island and Tangalooma Resort is still fun.
I travel a lot. Aussies can travel a lot. But for near perfect beaches, many Aussie beaches can't be topped. Compare the beaches in South Australia (let alone Australia) to Bali or Phuket - beach destinations we flock to.
10 South Aussie differences:
1. White, smooth sand that doesn't hurt to walk on
2. Clean sand and water
3. Beautiful clear water (most of the time)
4. You leave the water without itching from sea lice
5. No touts to harass you
6. You can drive to a number of suburban beaches within half an hour of the CBD. An hour drive to the Fleurieu beaches of awesomeness.
7. Litter doesn't float to shore as you swim or surf
8. You don't have to sniff some strangers armpit as you lie on your towel, squeezed on a snippet of beach
9. Experienced surf lifesavers patrol sections of beach for safety
10. There is a beach for everyone - placid kids splash-around beaches (Horseshoe Bay, Glenelg, Kingston Park), trendy 'be seen' beaches (Henley), nudist beach (Maslin), all to your own beaches (KI, Eyre and Yorke Peninsula), and surf beaches (Mid Coast, Middleton, Waitpinga, Chiton, Parsons… all close to Adelaide).
Anyone have any favourites?